Couples’ surgery is gaining popularity and offers partners a chance to turn long-desired cosmetic changes into a romantic adventure.
But what about cosmetic or functional concerns related to your sexual health? What could be more intimate than undergoing his and her genital procedures simultaneously and spending your recovery time together? This applies to hers and hers or his and his surgery as well.
If you and your significant other have opened up and each shared these private desires, maybe it’s time to put your plan into action.
Depending on your unique needs, you and your partner can choose from one or more of the following sexual health procedures.
Female Cosmetic and Functional Genital Surgery
Under the umbrella of vaginal rejuvenation, there are several procedures that may be right for you or the woman in your life.
Vaginal rejuvenation encompasses a variety of surgical procedures used to modify female genitalia, including:
- Clitoral reduction – This cosmetic procedure corrects an overly large and protruding clitoris. Clitoral reduction is a very intricate surgery performed only by a handful of surgeons who specialize in genital procedures and is designed to reduce the size of the head, also known as the clitoris glans, and remove excess tissue from the clitoral shaft.
- Clitoral hood reduction and clitoropexy – These cosmetic and functional procedures work together to improve the appearance of the clitoral hood, enhance sexual pleasure by exposing more of the clitoris’s nerve endings, and reduce or eliminate irritation resulting from a large clitoral hood rubbing against clothing.
- Labiaplasty (minora & majora) – When the labial lips are enlarged, they can cause various functional and cosmetic issues. Labiaplasty reduces the size and tightens the inner lips (labia minora), outer lips (labia majora), or both.
- Vaginal tightening – Women often experience pain during intercourse or difficulty achieving an orgasm, especially as they age. STEMVagé® is a non-surgical biocellular regenerative treatment that can be combined with laser vaginal surgery or STEMVagé®+ for a comprehensive approach that can restore satisfying intimacy and comfort in women.
Male Cosmetic and Functional Genital Surgery
- Hypospadias correction – Hypospadias is a common birth defect found in boys and is characterized by the opening of the urethra being located away from the tip of the penis. This surgery extends the length of the urethra to allow it to reach the tip of the penis, where a new opening has been created.
- Buried/hidden penis correction – A buried or hidden penis can be caused by weak ligaments, obesity, a pronounced pubic fat pad, lymphedema, or loose skin. Improvement is typically achieved by removing excess pubic fat and suturing the overlying skin of the pubis to the muscles.
- Surgical correction of Peyronie’s disease – Peyronie’s disease refers to a curvature in the penis that can be genetic or caused by trauma. Surgery may be required to treat this condition when the deformity makes sexual intercourse or other functions painful, difficult, or impossible. Peyronie’s disease can be related to psychological distress or impotence and may require a penile implant.
- Penis implants – The majority of patients with erectile dysfunction and impotence can be treated non-surgically. However, a penile implant or prosthesis is necessary for some patients to experience a normal and gratifying sexual life. A semi-rigid rod implant, inflatable hydraulic implant, or a variation of these penile implants may be used.
- Penis enlargement/reconstruction – A small, thin, or short penis can cause extreme distress for men. This procedure is designed to add length, girth, or both to the penis through reconstruction rather than fillers or fat grafts, which often produce unsatisfactory results and undesirable complications.
How to Make Your Shared Recovery a Positive Experience
Recovery from surgery is a time to rest and heal. You’ll want to be well-prepared with pre-cooked meals and everything you need within arm’s reach of your preferred resting areas.
Unless you decide to take turns having surgery and caring for each other during recovery, the best thing you can do is hire someone to help you both at this time. That way, you can both lay back and be carefree as you support each other emotionally.
Choosing a Genital Surgeon
You and your partner will want to choose a highly skilled plastic surgeon with urology experience and proven expertise in genital surgery. Look for a board-certified plastic surgeon who uses laser technology for precision and comfort and can combine the surgeries when appropriate.
Dr. Gary Alter is well-known as the preeminent expert in genital surgery and has offices in Beverly Hills and New York City for your convenience.
Male and Female Genital Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA
Dr. Alter is double board-certified in plastic surgery and urology, practicing in Beverly Hills, California, and offers genital surgery for his patients worldwide. You can reach Dr. Alter’s Beverly Hills office by calling (310)-275-5566.
New York City Female and Male Genital Specialist
For your convenience, Dr. Alter also performs genital surgery in New York, NY, and provides many of the same therapies. Call our New York office at (212) 321-0749.