A protruding clitoral hood can be uncomfortable and painful for a woman, and, occasionally, it can even resemble a small penis. Some women are so self-conscious about the appearance of their enlarged clitoral hood that they avoid sexual intimacy.
A clitoral hood reduction works to provide a woman confidence and allows a full, healthy sex life. When excess tissue is removed, women can feel more at ease wearing tightly-fitted clothing and be more comfortable in them.
Am I a Candidate for Clitoral Hood Reduction?
Candidates for clitoral hood reduction find that their enlarged clitoral hood is inconvenient in many aspects of their lives.
You may be the right candidate for clitoral hood reduction if you are:
- Unhappy with the size of your clitoral hood
- Have a protruding clitoral hood when standing or wearing tight clothes
- In generally good health
- A nonsmoker
- Not enjoying a full sex life due to concern over your clitoral hood’s appearance
What Are the Benefits of Clitoral Hood Reduction in New York City?
- Enhanced confidence (in social and intimate settings)
- Increased comfort
- Improved clitoral hood appearance
- No risk of nerve injury or decrease in sensation
A clitoral hood reduction could enhance sexual pleasure if the clitoris were initially hidden under thick tissue and skin.
How Is Clitoral Hood Reduction Performed?
There are many options available to reduce the size of the clitoral hood, depending on the shape of your clitoral hood and the amount of excess tissue present. Depending on your specific needs, you may undergo clitoral hood reduction alone or during labiaplasty surgery.
- Excess skin can be removed from the sides of the clitoral hood, often done at the same time as a labiaplasty.
- If the clitoral hood is overlapping the clitoris, it may be shortened by excising skin horizontally.
- If the hood is thick and protruding (but not necessarily long), the tissue under the skin can be thinned out.
- A long, thick, protuberant clitoral hood is reduced by repositioning the clitoris higher and closer to the pubic bone (a clitoropexy). A horizontal incision is made on the lower clitoral hood, the skin is elevated, and the clitoris is repositioned slightly higher. Since the clitoris itself is not sutured or traumatized, there is no risk of nerve injury or decreased sensation. The excess skin is then removed.
A consultation with Dr. Alter can help determine which techniques are best for you, based on your specific needs and goals for the procedure.
How Long Is Clitoral Hood Reduction Recovery?
The recovery length after clitoral hood reduction varies between patients, depending on the techniques used during surgery. Typically, patients return to their normal daily activities after two to three days of rest and recovery. Please talk with Dr. Alter regarding when you may resume sexual activity.
What Results Should I Expect From Clitoral Hood Reduction?
After clitoral hood reduction surgery, you should expect your results will be visible almost immediately after the swelling subsides. You should expect a clitoral hood that is aesthetically pleasing and physically comfortable. Pain and irritation while wearing tight clothing should be greatly reduced or eliminated.
How Much Does Clitoral Hood Reduction Cost in NYC?
The cost of a clitoral hood reduction in New York city varies between patients. Every woman has a different need and goal for the procedure. The cost depends on the techniques used during the procedure, anesthesia fees, and surgeon fees. A consultation with Dr. Alter will help determine a more specific financial estimate.
What Type of Anesthesia Is Used During Clitoral Hood Reduction?
Clitoral hood reduction is generally performed using local or general anesthesia. You should bring someone with you to the appointment to drive you home after surgery.
What Are the Risks of Clitoral Hood Reduction?
When performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon with as much experience as Dr. Alter, a clitoral hood reduction is a generally safe procedure. Dr. Alter invented the clitoropexy procedure and has performed it over 300 times. He also invented most other hood reduction procedures. While there is no risk of nerve injury or a decrease in sensation, risks are still present. These risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
Interested in Learning More About Clitoral Hood Reduction in NYC?
To learn more about clitoral hood reduction in New York City, schedule a consultation with Dr. Alter at his Park Avenue Aesthetics Surgery office by filling out the consultation form on our website or calling (212) 321-0749 or (310) 275-5566.
Park Avenue Aesthetics Surgery
461 Park Ave South, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10016 Located between E 32nd Street and E 31st Street, Midtown Manhattan (33 Street station is the closest subway location)
Dr. Alter and the entire team are dedicated to providing every patient with exceptional individualized care—from consultation to recovery. We take the time to learn about your concerns, goals, and desires, so we can build a plan that addresses your concerns and gets you the
results you deserve.